Welcome to my Drama Castle. Here I write drama/movie reviews. Enjoy your stay and write comments to make my day!

{ Princess' Man }


I've been wondering the two dramas that I've watched recently are all about princess (Prosecutor Princess and now it's Princess' Man). Now I know that it's Park Shi Hoo's fault. He's the main lead in both dramas and I can't help watching any dramas starring him.

It's said that Princess' Man is a "Romeo and Juliet" in Korean style. I was a bit hesitant after hearing that, but I'm glad I gave the drama a try. It's so wonderful, breath-taking and getting more and more intense. The story's about a tragic love story between Se Ryung - the daughter of Prince Su Yang, who is very ambitious, cruel and always coveting the kingship, and Seung Yoo - grandson of Kim Jong Seo, a loyal official. The little game between Se Ryung and the princess has led to an encounter with Seung Yoo that they'll regret for the rest of their lives.

I've heard some complaints about Park Shi Hoo's acting skills in the first two episodes. Some criticized his voice, saying that it's robot-like. I think so too, but I also think that it's suitable for his role, a playful and wise man. You'll see his performance improving as the story evolves. Maybe he's not good at talking normally in conversation, but he's pretty talented when it comes to tear-jerking moments and fighting scenes. The director of "Family's Honor" has once said, "When I saw Park Shi Hoo crying, I suddenly wanna cry too." It's the same for me, it's like he's not acting and those tears are real. Surprisingly, Park Shi Hoo's eye movements can talk! Just looking at his eyes, you'll know if he's sad, happy or frustrated. That's his specialty!

Spoiler Warning
At the end of episode 10, there's a scene that he strangles her neck after knowing that she's the daughter of the one who killed his family. Seeing his complicated expressions at that time, I feel like I'm the one who's hurt. I had no time to compliment his acting skills but just sit like stone and feel his pain.
End spoiler

Also, I've been wondering why Park Shi Hoo always play too-perfect-too-good roles. In Family's Honor, he's a rich, intelligent ruthless businessman (who's actually very child-like and adorable). In Princess Prosecutor, he's a rich, brave, talented lawyer. In Iljimae, he's again an acute, courageous, strong government official.


His secret child (oi, just kidding ♪)

ROFL

Personally I think Moon Chae Won has also improved her performance. She's cute but not as pretty as the princess, so her face is perfect for the role, a lively lady with strong curiosity.

What's more to say about Princess' Man?
- Very interesting plot. It's not new yet not too cliché either. Sometimes it's unpredictable and there are lots of unexpected dangerous events happened with the male lead. You'll watching the drama anxiously worrying what's going to happen to him.
- Beautiful cinematography. I especially love the swing scenes of Se Ryung. It looks easy but actually difficult, dangerous and scary. The crew have the pull the strings to swing her high and fast. It's great that the actors can get emotional when there's no romantic music at all.
- Euphonic music. The soundtracks were chosen carefully and approriately. Just hearing the music makes you utterly sad.
- Wonderful cast. Other middle-aged actors/actresses are all talented, experienced and complete their roles perfectly. Lee Min Woo (as Jung Jong) is unexpectedly cute and interesting. Song Jong Ho (as Shin Myun): maybe because of his role - a pathetic pitiful official , I don't like him much. But his acting skills aren't bad.

I'm glad to hear that Princess Man's latest episode stays first in ratings.
Hope the crew can keep up the good work.


(Currently airing)
Genre: Period, Romance

|------------------------------|

SCORE
Plot: 5 / 5
♥ Acting skill:
+ Moon Chae Won as Lee Se Ryung: 4.5/5
+ Park Shi Hoo as Kim Seung Yoo: 4.5/5

♥ Awesome drama!
Don't watch it unless you have lots of free time,
because once you start, you just can't stop!

|-----------------------------------------------|

Leave a Reply